Sophomore Schedules

Monday: Art & Econ
Tuesday: Lang/Lit & History
Wednesday: Music & Math
Thursday: Super Quiz (Geology) & Speech/Interview/Essay

Announcement: If you'd like to post a powerpoint, e-mail it to Ms. Kelly to post on Snapgrades. If you have lesson notes you'd like to post, e-mail it to me or your group lieutenant. Group lieutenants who don't have administrative privileges: please e-mail me (Sarah).

BTW, people. I don't think changes to individual section pages are e-mailed to people who follow the blog, so just check them every so often when they're updated. Or maybe someone left a blog about it.

16 Sept 2010: Kay, I'm getting depressed. Why don't you guys ever comment?! *cries a little*
Whatever. People who I've granted administrative privileges and already have a page up and running here: make your lesson announcements on your page. See Language & Literature page for reference.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Just watched "V is for Vendetta" and now feel like blogging.

Now I know what people mean when they say that movie is a classic.  I mean.  I mean.  Like WOAH.  It was so good, I nearly cried (no nasty jokes).  I don't know if I can focus on my homework anymore.  Thank you, Mr. Eayrs for telling us to watch it for homework!  And thank you, Nancy, for lending it to Rebecca and me!  I am forever indebted to you!
Here, a gift:
I would embed it in the blog, but all clips have disabled embedding.  WHY?!?

Anyway, to somehow tie all this to Academic Decathlon...

1. Don't forget to do my homework.  Here, a [link] to the exact blog that I assigned the homework in.
2. Read Studs Terkel's Oral History excerpt in the USAD guide.  See my previous blog post for the video I posted.  Please watch it; that guy says a lot of great stuff.
3. A thoughtful rant from me....
So, reading about people in the USAD guide, going to that lecture at SacState, watching documentaries and interviews of everything, and all of the other things that I've been doing to prepare for the Academic Decathlon has really been getting me thinking that this was the era where truly inspiring people formed from the mire.  Frank Lloyd Wright, Studs Terkels, Billie Holiday-- these are all people that have really shaped society.  After they were seen, known, acknowledged by the public, our world was really never the same.  But this isn't something spectacular-- lives are changed everyday, without us even noticing.  There are so many amazing people, that it's nothing special.  That doesn't mean the world is dull, mundane, exaggerated.  No, this is an understatement of just how wondrous our world is.  I guess I'm just noticing this because I watched this video on vimeo about how certain people influence society and create trends.  It really doesn't have anything to do with what I'm saying, but I guess I'll post it here for the hell of it:


INFLUENCERS FULL VERSION from R+I creative on Vimeo.

Anyway, the point of all this was: when you read the USAD guide, when you complete Academic Decathlon homework, when you watch related documentary, don't treat this as if it was just information.  Information that's going to be tested on.  Information that you think has nothing to do with your life, is inapplicable, and that you just have to memorize to win a medal so that the colleges will be impressed when they see your resume.  There are lessons, concepts, universal truths to be learned here.  Think with a broader perspective.  Embrace the knowledge with your mind, heart, and soul.  I know this sounds super corny, but I think we students at SECA really need to learn that.

So, get cracking, have a wonderful night full of homework, and if you haven't watched V for Vendetta-- what are ya waitin' for? Get to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment